Here is the URL to the article : http://www.lexisnexis.com.libproxy.gc.maricopa.edu/hottopics/lnacademic/
You will have to type in "mistakes in learning a language" in the news search bar. The article will be number 11 on the list.
As its title implies, the article BRIEFLY explains five common mistakes that are made by those learning a foreign language.
This article was of interest to me because I like to learn about other cultures, a big part of which includes language. Although I only speak English and Spanish fluently, I have taken two years of French in high school. I loved it and did really well, so I wanted to see if I was putting in practice any of the advice that was found in the article.
What I found to be most interesting was that all the mistakes were related in some way to being too rigid in the learning process. For example the mistakes were: not listening enough, lack of curiosity, rigid thinking, only using one method to learn the language, and fear of speaking the language. I find that I agree with the article very much being that I had a lot of curiosity for French, thought about new ways to communicate my ideas with the knowledge I acquired, used several methods to learn it, and spoke it every opportunity I had. I think that this is what led me to do well in my language studies.
I definitely want to learn more about this topic and I think I may do my research project on a topic related to this one. I feel that it would be very helpful to me because in the near future I plan on continuing to learn French and this will help me to acquire the language better and more confidently.
This information could have a great effect on those who may be struggling in a foreign language. By putting some of these suggestions in action and avoiding the mistakes mentioned in the article, the student could potentially improve and internalize the language more easily. Hopefully, this can help put the fun and adventure back into learning another language. After all, what fun is learning a second or third language if you are not enthusiastic about it?
I remember when I took French, I also had a fear of speaking it. There's very few people who speak it well, but when you're taking it in high school, everyone who you'd speak it with would be at about the same level and there would be no one to give you solid validation on what you've said or how well you've said it. Then, of course, the accent is so precise, that it would feel silly to try to do it well. I also think that when learning a new language, one should try to start with a blank slate and stray from rigid thinking, because there's so many new things to learn and why limit yourself to how you can learn it?
ReplyDeleteI find that having fear when speaking a language you are learning (even if you have for a long time) is always a painful gate to jump. But once you push through it, it's worth it.
ReplyDeleteHi this is Savitha from Chennai. I would like to learn anyone of the foreign languages. That time I have read your blog, your information is really helpful for learning foreign language..Just now I have completed German Classes in Chennai at reputed institutes. They also provide French Language Classes in Chennai. For more details call @ 9841746595.
ReplyDeleteyour article is really great. French language classes
ReplyDeleteAfter analyzing your article you have to recognize what I surely have written here asian rhinoplasty . This one is being written after you have a proposal from you.
ReplyDelete