Hi Class. This time I thought it would be nice to do something diferent, so I decided to look for a useful website for those who may be learning a new language or just want to try something new. The website I found is http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/. Here you can choose from several languages and access all kinds of cool things. For example, you can do interactive puzzles, listen to pronounciations of the language, or learn new slang words in every area of life. This can provide some extra practice.
What I found interesting is that it also teaches you some idioms of the foreign language, which was interesting to me, being that I just did my idiom project. I learned that in French the idiom for "I could eat a horse" actually means "I could eat a bull". It is funny how the translation is different in other languages. I like the website because it shows that learning a new language has to be a multi-fasceted approach. It is not just a process of reading and memorizing as in history class. Not only does it show you the text, but you can also choose to listen to the spoken language with a native accent.
I do want to learn more about this website because it could help me to keep what I have learned of French and to acquire more of the language. Also, I could use this website to show someone else who may be struggling with a foreign language. Perhaps if more people would use this kind of approach, their language studies would seem less boring and monotonous and this would help reactivate the interest in the suject. For sure, interest in the subject is important. There is no doubt that if you like to do something you will learn it better and be more enthusiastic about it. Anyone who tries to learn something new could use some extra tips, so hopefully this is useful to some of you.
This is fun, I looked at the German tab on the website. It showed me some German slang that people use on the streets.
ReplyDeleteThis was an enjoyable post. The site brought interest in learning the language and its format. Great work.
ReplyDelete